Geranium (Copenhagen, Denmark)
Restaurant Geranium is the gastronomic 3 Michelin star restaurant of Danish Chef Rasmus Kofoed. The restaurant is located at the top floor of the National Football Stadium in Fælledparken (Common Gardens), just outside the centre of Copenhagen.
The interior was renovated in 2015 and today, the restaurant is spacious, very bright, luxurious and elegant. White and grey colours are mixed with wooden elements and modern, minimalistic Nordic design. The walk-through wine cellar boasts an impressive collection of bottles and the restaurant also features a big private dining area.
Chef Rasmus Kofoed is one of the best and most ambitious chefs in the Nordics. He is the only chef in the world that gained the bronze, silver and gold medal in the Paul Bocuse’s Bocuse d’Or competition, one of the world’s most prestigious cooking competitions.
The chef received his training at Hotel D’Angleterre on Kongens Nytorv in Copenhagen. He gained experience at restaurant Scholteshof in Belgium, the famous restaurant from Roger Souvereyns. Upon his return to Denmark, Rasmus Kofoed immediately started with the creation of his own, unique cooking style.
While Rasmus his style is clearly Nordic, it remains highly technical, pure and balanced. The chef hails his inspiration from the land and the sea nearby and is highly influenced by the seasons. Only the very best products available enter the kitchen and many of them are vegetables. His cuisine is light, precise and the presentation is gorgeous.
There is only one menu available at Geranium, which consists out of about 25 snacks, dishes and sweets. Guests can choose between a wine or juice pairing to accompany the menu. We enjoyed the following menu with wine pairing:
Bubbles from Sussex England: Nyetimber south, blanc de blanc
- Crispy Jerusalem Artichoke Leaves, mayonnaise of walnut oil & roasted rye vinegar
- Tomato water, ham fat & aromatic herbs on a spoon
- White asparagus, asparagus vinegar & lemon balm
- Danish Lobster, milk & juice from fermented carrots, sea buckthorn
- Charred Danish potato (cooked & smoked under the ground) in aroma from bark & sheep’s butter
- Dillstone, horseradish cream & frozen juice (granité) from pickled dill
- Razor clam with minerals & sour cream
- Yellow beets, aromatic seeds, smoked yoghurt whey, yoghurt juice & beach plant oil, pickles with onion seeds, elderberry
- Creamy spring vegetables with oyster & fermented cabbage, emulsion of champagne & fermented soy
- Salted & smoked hake, parsley stems, finish caviar in buttermilk, crispy fish scale
- Crispy grains, bread with old grains and gluten free bread with seeds
- Wild herbs, grilled asparagus, melted pork fat & melted Vesterhavs cheese
- Scallop with Söl, juice from celery, dried scallop roe & pickled elderberries
- Morrels, sunflower seeds & truffle
- Pork neck sous vide prepared, cucumber stamps, baby cucumber & pickled pine, intense pork sauce, pine oil, pickled confit of garlic, lemon thyme
- A taste of spring, shell of crispy beetroot, rhubarb, yoghurt & tegetes, violet
- Ice cream from beeswax, pollen & honey with cloudberries
- Wood sorrel & woodruff
- The end – liquorice
- Salted Caramel with aromatic seeds & tea from black currant leaves
- lingonberry bush
- Cake with pumpkin seed oil
- Chocolate with oats & sea buckthorn
- Green egg with pine
- Marshmallow with hip rose
Restaurant manager and co-owner Søren Ørbek Ledet is responsible for the general management of restaurant Geranium. He is also responsible for the impressive wine collection, together with sommelier Mikael Båth. The highly experienced duo offers extremely professional service and a carefully selected wine arrangement. They manage a team of skilled staff members and service is calm, formal and charming. Everything is done with an eye for details and even the coffee and tea service are experiences to cherish.
The “Belgian Taste Buds” Experience
Nordic produce, innovation and a highly technical, balanced kitchen: that is what one might expect from Geranium. This is one of those restaurants where everything makes sense. The stunningly delicious, light and balanced food, the exceptional wines, the perfect service: eating at Geranium is more than a meal. It is a journey through the ‘nouvelle Nordic Cuisine’ and a bite into the future. A world-class restaurant.
Belgian Taste Buds:
- Food Buds 9/10
- Wine pairing Buds 9/10
- Price/Quality Buds 8/10
- Service Buds 9/10
- Experience Buds 9.5/10
Per Henrik Lings Allé 4, 8
2100 Copenhagen OE
Phone: +45 69 96 00 20
Original review made for wbpstars.com. Discover the ultimate guide for food lovers, travellers and the restaurant business. Discover many thousands of images and hundreds of films of the most amazing culinary wonders in the world. An exclusive documentation of the very best.